Monday 30 January 2012

Vanity

One of the toughest experiences was the day my hair started falling out.  I cried for 2 hours.  How does cancer become a reality only once hair starts falling?  Was the red devil chemo poured down a tube into my arm not enough of a reality check?  Apparently not!


Vanity takes a major blow. I was determined not to look like a chemo patient! I missed my eyebrows and eyelashes more than my hair.  I could cover my head with funky scarves and I eventually learnt to draw in my eyebrows so that it looked kind of real (thank you to my Mac angel). The day arrived when I gave up this silly quest of not looking like a chemo patient. I remember saying..."What the hell! I am a chemo patient! and that's ok!"


My hair, eyebrows and eyelashes have made a re-appearance since.


3 surgeries + 12 chemo sessions + 30 radiation sessions later and I am on the mend (slower than I would like though) with cancer in the rear-view mirror!

1 comment: